Bring on the hushpuppies and pass the tartar or cocktail sauce.
A trio of Northeast Florida restaurants are among the 15 Best Seafood Restaurants in Florida recently listed by Trips to Discover, which describes itself as “a travel discovery platform.”
The seafood spots named to the list include “hole-in-the-wall” joints as well as some of the state’s upscale restaurants, according to the Trips to Discover website.
‘We are so close’: Singleton’s Seafood Shack nears reopening after extensive renovation, repairs
Oceanfront dining:10 restaurants with a waterfront view at Jacksonville’s Beaches
Best BBQ restaurants in Jacksonville: From brisket to ribs, landmarks to newcomer
Here are the First Coast restaurants that made the cut.
Safe Harbor Seafood Restaurant and Market
4378 Ocean St. No. 3, Mayport; (904) 246-4911; safeharbor-seafood.com
Fried, blackened or grilled Mayport shrimp plus seafood and fish fresh from the dock to the table has long been a favorite of locals and visitors alike at Safe Harbor Seafood and Market in historic Mayport Village. On the waterfront, Safe Harbor offers dockside dining with a variety of fresh catch selections. Plump Mayport shrimp take centerstage but other offerings include crab cakes, gator tail, scallops, soft shell crab and the catch of the day. The restaurant opened in 2013 but the seafood business has been operating since the 1980s.
205 Anastasia Blvd., St. Augustine; (904) 829-6974; steensrestaurant.com
O’Steen’s Restaurant on Anastasia Island in St. Augustine has been serving up freshly made-to-order fried or broiled seafood such as shrimp, oysters, scallops and crab cakes for 56 years. The restaurant also showcases homemade Minorcan clam chowder, chicken, steaks and chops as well as homemade side dishes and a variety of pies.
Flagler Fish Company
180 S. Daytona Ave., Flagler Beach; (386) 439-0000; flaglerfishandbeefcompany.com
A Flagler favorite for 17 years, Flagler Fish Company boasts “food to knock your flops off.” It has at least 20 varieties of fresh seafood and fish daily, Smoked fish dip, a Maine Lobster cocktail, oysters on the half shell, redfish chowder, ahi tuna, diver scallops, Alaskan King Crab Legs and a whole snapper top its menu. Vegetarian offerings, as well as beef and chicken also are on the menu.
Trips to Discover’s other top seafood restaurants
- Star Fish Company: 12306 46th Ave. W., Cortez,
- Brotula’s Seafood House & Steamer: 210D Harbor Blvd., Destin
- Dixie Crossroads: 1475 Garden St., Titusville
- Boshamps Seafood and Oyster House: 414 Harbor Blvd., Destin
- DJ’s Clam Shack: 629 Duval St., Key West
- Hunt’s Oyster Bar & Seafood Restaurant: 1150 Beck Ave., Panama City
- Walt’s Fish Market Restaurant: 4144 S Tamiami Trail, Sarasota
- Owen’s Fish Camp: 516 Burns Court No. 7030, Sarasota
- Up The Creek Raw Bar: 313 Water St., Apalachicola
- STEWBY’S Seafood Shanty: 427 Racetrack Road NW, Fort Walton Beach
- The Pensacola Fish House: 600 S Barracks St., Pensacola
- Dry Dock Waterfront Grill: 412 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Longboat Key